I have more than 20 years of experience in private practice and as an in-house attorney, involving a wide variety of corporate finance, M&A, technology transactions and general corporate matters.
As part of my corporate finance practice, I structure and negotiate loan transactions on behalf of both borrowers and lenders. A large number of these transactions provided capital to growth-stage technology companies located throughout the US, UK and EU. It often involved taking security interests in a wide variety of collateral, including intellectual property.
I advise clients who are starting up operations in various industries – technology, healthcare services, consumer products – with the formation and financing of their businesses, as well as clients with mature businesses looking to acquire or sell all or various parts of their businesses.
I advise clients licensing software or services, primarily in the financial services and healthcare sectors. Related to this, I also negotiate and provide advice on employment, consulting and confidentiality agreements for clients involved in these activities.
I also represent financial institutions and end-users in structuring and documenting interest rate, foreign exchange and commodities transactions, under ISDA-based agreements, including credit support annexes. As part of this practice, I advise clients on compliance with applicable U.S. and foreign laws and regulations such as Dodd-Frank.
J.D., Duke University School of Law, 1988
B.S., Electrical Engineering, Pennsylvania State University, 1983
- Tau Beta Pi National Engineering Honor Society
- Eta Kappa Nu National Electrical Engineering Honor Society
- Omicron Delta Kappa National Leadership Honor Society
- Advise lenders and borrowers regarding structuring, negotiating and documenting secured lending transactions involving borrowers ranging from technology start-ups through mature, operating companies. Structures include multiple lenders, equity participations, and diverse forms of collateral (including intellectual property) located in the U.S., U.K. and E.U.
- Advise on structuring, negotiating and documenting alternative investment transactions involving interest rate, commodities and foreign exchange transactions, as well as with compliance with applicable U.S. laws and regulations issues involving these products.
- Served as lead counsel to a leading financial institution in creating the web portal for its investment bank, including working with local counsel in numerous foreign jurisdictions to ensure compliance with applicable banking and securities laws and regulations regarding product offerings.
- Advise financial institutions and end-users on compliance with U.S. and foreign regulatory filings and exchange compliance matters, particularly related to futures and derivatives.
- Advise parties to licensing transactions, with a focus on licensing technology-related products in the financial services arena.
- Represent private equity investor groups in transactions involving the acquisition of assets or businesses and advise them on matters related to these acquisitions, including acquisition financing and corporate governance.
- Represented a Philadelphia-based art foundation in sending its world-renowned collection of Impressionist and post-Impressionist art on a two-year tour of world-class art museums in Paris, Frankfurt, Tokyo, Dallas, Washington, D.C. before its return to Philadelphia.
- Ares Management, LLC – Vice President, Legal. 2012-2016
- BlueCrest Capital Finance, L.P. – Legal Counsel. 2006-2012
- Ritchie Capital Management – Assistant General Counsel. 2004-2006
- Bank of America Corporation – Assistant General Counsel. 1994-2004