I am a seasoned litigator with a broad range of experience in complex commercial, intellectual property and employment litigation. Clients attest to my established track-record of successfully advancing their interests both in and out of the courtroom. While every commercial matter brings unique issues and challenges, my steadfast work ethic, creativity, and pragmatism allow me to consistently deliver great results.
Over the years, I have developed a niche in employment law, counseling publicly traded, Fortune 500 and businesses on best practices to minimize the risk of employment disputes, and litigating employment disputes that could not be avoided to successful conclusions.
I have spent the entirety of my legal career at Chapman Spingola, beginning as a student clerk in 2007 and, since 2013, as a partner. This continuity afforded me the unique opportunity to hit the ground running early on and accumulate a breadth of invaluable experience on which I continue to draw when steering clients through their toughest legal battles.
J.D., with honors, Chicago-Kent College of Law
- Chicago-Kent Law Review, Member
- Moot Court Honor Society, Vice President
- Judicial Extent for the Honorable Samuel Der-Yeghiayan, Northern District of Illinois
M.S., cum laude, Fordham University
- New York City Teaching Fellow and recipient of Segal AmeriCorps Education Award
B.A., cum laude, Florida State University
- Major in English with a concentration in Creative Writing
- Minor in Theatre
- Advise employers on best practices and policies to minimize the risk of liability for discrimination, and to best protect proprietary information and relationships from employee misuse.
- Assist employers with drafting and enforcing restrictive covenants to the maximum extent needed to protect the employer’s business interests in accordance with applicable law.
- Advise and assist employers with structuring and executing reductions in force in compliance with applicable law.
- Represent both employers and executives to negotiate and resolve over compensation, benefits, and/or separation.
- Perform sexual harassment prevention training for companies of all sizes in accordance with the Illinois Workplace Transparency Act.
- Represent and defend employers against a wide variety of employee claims, including those brought pursuant to Title VII, ADA, ADEA, and FMLA.
- Defeated a motion for temporary restraining order and won summary judgment for client sued by former employer for violating restrictive covenants in his employment agreement. Drafted briefs in opposition to TRO motion and in support of summary judgment motion and delivered oral argument at TRO hearing. The trial court first denied plaintiffs’ TRO motion and, following summary judgment briefing and oral argument, ruled that the restrictive covenants were unenforceable and not subject to judicial modification as a matter of law. Successfully defended the ruling on appeal, in what is now a leading published opinion on restrictive covenant law in Illinois.
- Defended financial services firm against former employee’s claim of gender discrimination. Guided dispute to a favorable confidential outcome through early mediation.
- Represented former bank CEO in bringing claims against bank for wrongful termination and ERISA violations. Guided dispute to a confidential favorable outcome through mediation.
- Defended medical equipment company against Lanham Act, copyright, and other intellectual property claims of its competitor in Illinois federal court. Successfully moved to dismiss the majority of plaintiffs’ claims, resulting in plaintiff voluntarily dismissing remaining claims with prejudice.
- Defended e-commerce kitchenware company and its owner against intellectual property and other claims in Illinois federal court brought by the company’s former freelance designer who alleged he was promised a partnership interest in the business. Obtained favorable settlement following briefing on a motion to dismiss.
- Successfully defended a technology company against an opposition action before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board. Following the parties’ completion of written discovery, negotiated a settlement whereby our client made nominal, nonmaterial changes to the description of its product in exchange for petitioner’s dismissal of its opposition action with prejudice.
- Successfully defended an e-commerce company against competitor’s claims of copyright infringement, trademark infringement, consumer fraud, and tortious interference in Illinois federal court. Case settled for a confidential nominal amount following the completion of written discovery.
- Drafted appeal to the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit on behalf of dental implant company seeking declaratory judgment that its insurer had a duty to defend the company in an underlying lawsuit for patent and trademark infringement. Obtained favorable settlement prior to oral arguments.
- Represented publicly traded company in accounting malpractice suit against former auditors alleged to have overlooked and failed to warn company of probable unpaid sales and use tax liability. Obtained favorable confidential settlement following mediation.
- Represented health care company in suit for legal and accounting malpractice against former litigation and estate planning counsel, tax accountant, and 401(k) plan auditor. Guided the case to successful confidential settlement following mediation.
- Represented prominent Chicago produce company in accounting malpractice suit against former accountants alleged to have incorporated false information in company’s financial statements, disguising millions in losses that could have been avoided had accurate financial information been presented. Took the lead in mediation that resulted in confidential favorable settlement shortly before trial.
- Without filing a lawsuit, obtained six-figure settlement for former shareholders of direct marketing company in accounting malpractice matter against company’s former accountants. Settlement achieved based upon correspondence alleging that the accountants’ negligent preparation of annual audits and tax returns exposed shareholders to substantial liability.
- Represented publicly traded recycling company in claim for breach of fiduciary duty, tortious interference and breach of contract against a global appliance manufacturer, and defended the company against the manufacture’s claims for breach of contract. First-chaired seven-day commercial arbitration in which, following post-hearing briefing and closing arguments, the arbitrator found that the manufacturer violated its duty of good faith and fair dealing, resulting in the company recovering more than $800,000.
- Defended board members of publicly traded company accused by dissident shareholder of entrenchment and other wrongful conduct in Wisconsin federal court. Defeated motion for preliminary injunction and, thereafter, negotiated favorable settlement.
- Obtained seven-figure judgment for medical equipment company against a manufacturer for breach of an exclusive distribution agreement in a damages trial in Illinois federal court.
- Defended LLC member against a claim for judicial dissolution of an energy brokerage in an arbitration proceeding brought by one of the brokerage’s investors. Delivered opening statement and examined key witnesses in three-day arbitration and wrote the pre- and post-hearing briefs. After hearing, the arbitrator denied the investor’s dissolution claim and granted our client’s counterclaim, ordering the investor to pay the brokerage close to $1 million due under the parties’ agreements.
- Successfully represented technology company in suit against the dominant companies in its industry for antitrust violations, civil conspiracy, and unfair competition. Briefed and argued client’s opposition to defendants’ motions to dismissin the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas. Following the court’s denial of defendants’ motions, obtained confidential favorable settlement on client’s behalf.
- First-chaired trial on the meritsof breach of contract claim and, following judgment in client’s favor, handled citation proceeding in which client collected 100% of the judgment. Successfully appealed and obtained reversal of denial of petition for post-judgment attorneys’ fees. On remand, trial court awarded 100% of the fees incurred during the collection proceeding and the appeal.
- Successfully represented claimant-investor in FINRA arbitration against two investment firms, their respective principals, and claimant’s broker arising from broker’s churning and improper trading of assets in claimant’s securities accounts. Obtained favorable confidential settlement for claimant.
- Represented private equity firm in bringing suit in the Commercial Division of New York County state court for breach of contract and fraud against buyer of software company. Obtained confidential favorable settlement on client’s behalf.
- Successfully defended Physician against subrogee-insurance company’s claim for implied indemnity in connection with settlement of underlying medical malpractice case. Obtained summary judgment in client’s favor.
- Represented national law firm against recruiter who was seeking six-figure placement fee for lateral partner hiring. Briefed and argued successful motion for summary judgment resulting in a finding of zero liability. Successfully opposed plaintiff’s appeal.
- Represented real estate investor in action against former partner and his co-conspirators for conspiracy to defraud, breach of promissory note, aiding and abetting fraud, and breach of contract in Illinois federal court. Brief and argued successful opposition to defendant’s motion to dismiss. Obtained favorable settlement for client.
- Represented North American building supply company in breach of contract action. Deposed numerous fact witnesses. Second-chaired arbitration proceeding and obtained award in client’s favor.
- Kreg Therapeutics, Inc. v. VitalGo, Inc., 919 F.3d 405, 420 (7th Cir. 2019).
- VitalGo, Inc. v. Kreg Therapeutics, Inc., 370 F. Supp. 3d 873, 892 (N.D. Ill. 2019).
- Green Light Nat’l, LLC v. Kent, 17-CV-6370, 2018 WL 4384298, at *10 (N.D. Ill. Sept. 14, 2018).
- Drueke v. Bass, 17-CV-1061, 2017 WL 4570788, at *5 (E.D. Wis. Oct. 13, 2017).
- Digital Recognition Network, Inc. v. Accurate Adjustments, Inc., 4:14-CV-903-A, 2015 WL 13856066, at *2 (N.D. Tex. July 9, 2015).
- AssuredPartners, Inc. v. Schmitt, 2015 IL App (1st) 141863, ¶ 62, 44 N.E.3d 463, 478.
- ADR Sys. of Am., LLC v. Olson, 2012 IL App (1st) 111131-U, ¶ 34.
- MVConnect, LLC v. Recovery Database Network, Inc., 3:10-CV-1948, 2011 WL 13128799, at *10 (N.D. Tex. May 27, 2011).
- Ferrari Fin. Services, Inc. v. IIA, LLC, 10 C 1200, 2010 WL 2836686, at *3 (N.D. Ill. July 19, 2010).
- Appellate Court reverses dismissal of a financial fraud case: Rasgaitis v. Waterstone Financial Group, 58 ISBA Trial Briefs 11 (May 2013).
- Supreme Court clarifies fraudulent misrepresentation pleading requirements, 58 ISBA Trial Briefs 2 (August 2012).
- Illinois Appellate Court affirms preliminary injunction requiring American Airlines to allow ticket sales through Orbitz.Com: Travelport, LP v. American Airlines, Inc., 57 ISBA Trial Briefs 8 (June 2012).
- Member of Porchlight Music Theatre’s Board of Directors
- President of Chicago-Lincoln Chapter of the American Inns of Court (Board Member since 2010)
- Selected by Jewish United Fund in 2016 for its annual list of Chicago’s “36 Under 36,” honoring local young professionals who are making a personal and professional impact in their communities.
- Appointed Member of the Illinois State Bar Association Civil Practice & Procedure Section Council, 2011-2014
- Co-Editor of the Illinois State Bar Association’s monthly newsletter, Trial Briefs, 2012-2014
- Cast member of the Chicago Bar Association’s Holiday Spirits Show, 2011 and 2013