My practice focuses on transactions that involve technology, intellectual property, software, and IT-related matters.
I counsel clients on a variety of technology transactions including managing data and privacy, software, cloud-based and hosted services, development agreements, and other related commercial transactions, including identifying issues, drafting, reviewing, and negotiating these agreements. Typical matters involve:
- Software licensing
- Cloud computing and SaaS agreements
- Data privacy and security
- Technology or software development and integration
- Intellectual property licensing or acquisition
- Professional services agreements
- Non-disclosure agreements
- Service level agreements
- Data licensing
- Consulting and development agreements
- Complex services engagements
I have represented clients on these matters in a wide-variety of industries including financial services, securities trading and investing, medical and dental claims processing, healthcare revenue management, hospitality, industrial packaging, utility management services, food service equipment manufacturing, and safety consulting and certification.
I have an extensive background in complex intellectual property litigation that informs and shapes my technology transactions practice. My litigation experience includes patent infringement investigations and analysis, discovery, depositions, motion practice, technical expert work, economic expert work, claim construction briefings and hearings, jury trial, Federal Circuit appeal, and Supreme Court writ of certiorari. I have represented clients in courts throughout the country, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, and the U.S. International Trade Commission, as well as in Arbitration proceedings. My extensive patent litigation experience includes representing some of the nation’s largest companies in complex, multi-patent, cases.
Prior to joining the firm, I was a partner at Kirkland & Ellis LLP in Chicago in the Intellectual Property group. I earned my Juris Doctor at the University of Illinois, where I was an editor on the Illinois Law Review, and my Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Michigan. I am also a member of Chicago Women in Intellectual Property (www.ChiWIP.org).
- University of Illinois College of Law, J.D., 2005, magna cum laude, editor on the University of Illinois Law Review
- University of Michigan, B.S.E., Mechanical Engineering, 2002
- Represent a leading global financial services institution in negotiating their commercial and technology contracts, focusing on data, software licenses, SaaS subscriptions, services agreements, and consulting and development agreements.
- Represent a healthcare revenue cycle management organization in a variety of their vendor services agreements, including vendor software licenses, subscription services agreements, professional services agreements, and negotiating complex multi-year services agreements, many of which involve data security and privacy issues related to protected health information.
- Represent a medical-and-dental-claims-processing organization in preparing their form agreements and statements of work.
- Represent a global food service equipment manufacturer in their software and services agreements, including joint development agreements, Internet of Things (IoT) related transactions, and analysis of IP landscape.
- Represent a leading hotel group with in-bound IT-related transactions focusing on hosting services, website development services, and search engine optimization services.
- Represented a global supplier of automotive systems to original equipment manufacturers and related aftermarkets in a multi-patent case related to forward-facing vehicle camera technology.
- Defended orthopedic device manufacturer in a multi-patent case involving composition of polyethylene inserts for orthopedic implant systems. After a successful district court verdict on invalidity, successfully defended judgment at the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, and a U.S. Supreme Court writ of certiorari.
- Represented large medical health care company in a nine patent case relating to portable peritoneal dialysis items and related disposable equipment. The issues were tried to a jury verdict in a six week trial.
- Kirkland & Ellis LLP, Chicago, 2005-2014, Partner in the Intellectual Property group
- Judicial Extern for the Honorable Kenneth E. Wright, Jr., Presiding Judge of the Circuit Court of Cook County