In every case, I focus on a client’s unique needs and interests, and I strive to identify the most effective path to accomplish that client’s goals. To that end, I’ve negotiated favorable settlements for clients without filing a complaint. When necessary, I’ve successfully led cases through trial and appeal on behalf of both plaintiffs and defendants.
I focus my practice in complex commercial litigation. I have represented clients in disputes involving patents, trademarks, copyrights, employment law, contracts, partnerships, class actions, legal malpractice actions, and shareholder actions. I am experienced in every stage of litigation from pre-filing investigations through trial and appeal. I’ve also advised and represented clients in mediations, arbitrations, and informal settlement negotiations.
Prior to joining Chapman Spingola, I practiced at a nationally-recognized boutique litigation firm specializing in first-party and third-party insurance disputes, where I successfully represented clients in state and federal courts across the country.
J.D., Berkeley School of Law (Boalt Hall) of the University of California
- Fellow, Berkeley Technology & Law Center
- Author of Graduated Response Systems and the Market for Copyrighted Works, published by Berkeley Technology and Law Journal, Annual Review 2012; subsequently reprinted by Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
- I won a seven-figure judgment for a medical supply company on a bench trial in the Northern District of Illinois, which I then successfully defended on appeal.
- On behalf of an insurance company, I obtained a full dismissal of claims brought by two former executives for hundreds of thousands of dollars in unpaid bonuses and compensation.
- I defeated a motion for TRO in a contract dispute in federal court in the District of New Jersey, which resulted in the plaintiff immediately and voluntarily dismissing its claim.
- I successfully defended two wage-and-hour class actions and negotiated early and favorable settlements in each, without any payment to the putative class.
- I defeated a motion for a TRO in federal court in a shareholder derivative action, which led to an early and favorable settlement.
- I obtained a voluntary dismissal without any payment to the opposing party on behalf of a law firm in a malpractice action in an arbitration proceeding in Chicago.
- I helped defeat a motion for summary judgment in a defamation action against a major media company, which lead to a settlement on the eve of trial.
- I represented a global automotive supplier in a patent infringement lawsuit in Michigan federal court involving over a dozen patents and hundreds of asserted claims. I helped prepare non-infringement analyses, invalidity analyses, and extensive preparations for two-day Markman claim construction hearing.
- I represented a private equity firm in a multi-million dollar breach of contract dispute in Georgia state court involving multiline insurance policy with dozens of insurance carriers. I defeated the defendants’ motion for judgment on the pleadings in a case involving complex issues of foreclosure and insurable interests in distressed assets.
- I represented a condominium association in a suit for breach of contract and bad faith against its insurer in Colorado federal court. I defeated the insurer’s motion to dismiss, Daubert motion, and motion for summary judgment, which led to a favorable settlement.
- I represented a general contractor in multiple lawsuits against the nation’s largest insurance carriers. I defeated multiple hotly-contested motions to dismiss in Nebraska state and federal court which included issues of first impression involving the assignability of contractual and tort claims under Nebraska law.
- I represented a non-profit sports league in Colorado state court in a breach of contract dispute with its insurer. I developed a mediation strategy that led to a seven-figure recovery for my client within weeks of taking the case, without taking any discovery or filing any motions.
- State of Illinois
- State of Colorado
- Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- First Circuit Court of Appeals
- District of Colorado
- Western District of Kentucky
- Northern District of Illinois
- Western District of Michigan
- District of Nebraska
- Western District of Tennessee
- Eastern District of Wisconsin