In every case, I focus on a client’s unique needs and interests, and I strive to identify the most effective path to accomplish that client’s goals. To that end, I’ve negotiated favorable settlements for clients without filing a complaint. When necessary, I’ve successfully led cases through trial and appeal on behalf of both plaintiffs and defendants.
I focus my practice in complex commercial litigation. I have represented clients in disputes involving patents, trademarks, copyrights, employment law, contracts, insurance, partnerships, class actions, legal malpractice actions, and shareholder actions. I am experienced in every stage of litigation from pre-filing investigations through trial and appeal. I’ve also advised and represented clients in mediations, arbitrations, and informal settlement negotiations.
Prior to joining Chapman Spingola, I practiced at a nationally-recognized boutique litigation firm specializing in first-party and third-party insurance disputes, where I successfully represented clients in state and federal courts across the country.
J.D., Berkeley School of Law (Boalt Hall) of the University of California
- Fellow, Berkeley Technology & Law Center
- Author of Graduated Response Systems and the Market for Copyrighted Works, published by Berkeley Technology and Law Journal, Annual Review 2012; subsequently reprinted by Tsinghua University, Beijing, China
- Won a seven-figure judgment for lost profits for a medical supply company in a bench trial in the Northern District of Illinois, which was successfully defended on appeal before the Seventh Circuit.
- On behalf of an insurance company, obtained a full dismissal of claims brought in Illinois state court by two former executives seeking nearly a million dollars in unpaid bonuses and compensation.
- Defeated a motion for TRO in a contract dispute in New Jersey federal District Court, which resulted in the plaintiff immediately and voluntarily dismissing its claim.
- Brought innovative successor liability claim resulting in favorable settlement for plaintiff recycling broker in dispute with international subcontractor, without taking any depositions.
- Successfully defended client against all monetary damages in a lawsuit arising out of a breach of a settlement agreement.
- Defeated motion for summary judgment in Missouri federal court for manufacturing systems designer client in legal malpractice claim against its former attorneys, leading to a favorable settlement.
- On issue of first impression, obtained dismissal of professional negligence claim against our client, a damages expert, brought by his former clients, leading to a favorable settlement.
- Successfully represented commercial landlord in real estate dispute in appeal before the United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit.
- Helped obtain a dismissal of claims for fraud, breach of the duty of good faith and fair dealing, and collateral estoppel against a large beverage company in a trademark dispute with its former licensee.
- Successfully defended two wage-and-hour class actions and negotiated early and favorable settlements in each, without any payment to the putative class.
- Defeated a motion for a TRO in Wisconsin federal court in a shareholder derivative action, which led to an early and favorable settlement.
- Obtained a voluntary dismissal without any payment to the opposing party on behalf of a law firm in a legal malpractice action in an arbitration proceeding in Chicago.
- Obtained a TRO against other members of a closely held corporation in a shareholder oppression lawsuit.
- Helped defeat a motion for summary judgment in a defamation action against a major media company, which lead to a settlement on the eve of trial.
- Represented a global automotive supplier in a patent infringement lawsuit in Michigan federal court involving over a dozen patents and hundreds of asserted claims. Helped prepare non-infringement analyses, invalidity analyses, and extensive preparations for two-day Markman claim construction hearing.
- Represented a private equity firm in a multi-million dollar breach of contract dispute in Georgia state court involving multiline insurance policy with dozens of insurance carriers. Defeated the defendants’ motion for judgment on the pleadings in a case involving complex issues of foreclosure and insurable interests in distressed assets.
- Represented a condominium association in a suit for breach of contract and bad faith against its insurer in Colorado federal court. Defeated the insurer’s motion to dismiss, Daubert motion, and motion for summary judgment, which led to a favorable settlement on the eve of trial.
- Represented a general contractor in multiple lawsuits against the nation’s largest insurance carriers. Defeated multiple hotly-contested motions to dismiss in Nebraska state and federal court which included issues of first impression involving the assignability of contractual and tort claims under Nebraska law.
- Represented a non-profit sports league in Colorado state court in a breach of contract dispute with its insurer. Developed a mediation strategy that led to a seven-figure recovery for our client within weeks of taking the case, without taking any discovery or filing any motions.
- State of Illinois
- State of Colorado
- Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- First Circuit Court of Appeals
- District of Colorado
- Western District of Kentucky
- Northern District of Illinois
- Western District of Michigan
- District of Nebraska
- Eastern District of Wisconsin
- Bankruptcy Court for Northern District of Illinois